Local Authority Approvals for Residential House construction in Nairobi.

Local Authority Approvals for Residential House construction in Nairobi.

In the last few years, Local Authorities around Nairobi, mainly Nairobi City Council, Kajiado County council, Mavoko County council, Ruiru,Kiambu and Thika councils have been very active in enforcing plan approval bye laws. This is a step ahead in order to stem the number of buildings collapsing and being constructed inappropriately. The downside is that in as much as the enforcement is necessary, the lethargy and bureaucracy in obtaining the approvals usually takes a toll on developers. The least possible time taken is 3 weeks.

The main hindrances are time wasting and inconveniences in transport to and from the council offices.
Approval process takes too long from application to obtaining the permit.

Nairobi City Council has recently taken up online plan approval process.

Use of online plan approvals will make it easier for county governments to raise revenue since developers will be able to conveniently apply online. Currently, majority of buildings around Nairobi are constructed without the approvals mostly due to the inefficiency of the physical permit applications.

On average, most permanent buildings cost a minimum of KES 500,000 to construct. For these buildings to be constructed without approvals, this means that its not an issue of developers lacking the finances to apply for permits. Its an issue of developers weighing on the time wastage and inconveniences at the council offices as they seek the approvals.
Its high time county Governments created enabling environments for developers so as to maintain a win win situation whereby their revenue is increased and the developers adhere to the bye laws as required.This will go a long way in ensuring sustainable neighborhoods are created in line with the National/County physical planning policy.

Francis Gichuhi Kamau, Architect.
info@a4rchitect.com
0721410684

Francis Gichuhi (692 Posts)

Architect Francis Gichuhi . B.Arch. University of Nairobi. Registered Architect, Kenya. Member, Architectural Association of Kenya. Contacts. email info@a4architect.com. Telephone +254721410684

18 comments for “Local Authority Approvals for Residential House construction in Nairobi.

1. Lewis Mwalili
    March 9, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I LIKE ONLINE APPROVAL AS YOU HAVE OUTLINED. WOULD MIND IF I INFORM KITUI COUNTY AND OTHER TO USE YOUR FREE PORTAL . I TOOK ME A HELL OF TIME LAST YEAR IN MAVOKO TO APPROVE AND IN KITUI THERE IS ALOT OF INEFFICIENCY AND INCONVINIENCE AND ALOT REVENUE LOST DUE TO WHEEL DEALING. THANK YOU FOR INNOVATION AND KEEP IT UP YOU HAVE WOULD BE DEVELOPERS AT HEART. LASTLY CAN I CONSTRUCT A SINGLE STOREY 3_4 BEDROOMED MUGUGA (macheo-) THIKA CHEAPLY IE 1M OR LESS HIGHLIGHT.

• April 5, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Hi Mwalili, Thanks. Feel free to inform Kitui council to use my portal. Its possible to construct with 1M. The design needs to be customised for efficiency in order to achieve such low costs. I can design it. I will need the site dimensions. Email to info@a4architect.com.

2. Robinson Mogeni
    April 23, 2014 at 10:16 pm

How much does it cost to get approval in Mavoko for a 3 bedroom residential single story house?

3. Peter
    July 28, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Hi A4A
    I have a question on the kiambu county building code (kikuyu subcounty). After how does the approval expire? how much is the current renewal fee if any?

Kindly assist. I have put my email add for ease of response. Many thanks!

• July 28, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Hi Mwicigi, the approval expires after 24 months. Renewal fees will be determined by the planner at the point of resubmission of the drawings.
      See sample approval here

• Peter
        July 28, 2014 at 4:18 pm

@A4

Thanks Buddy now i can stop feeling conned by the kikuyu subcounty. Enjoy your Eid 🙂

4. laban
    January 15, 2016 at 7:50 pm

i intend to construct own residential house 1floor at gatuanyaga thika.i have obtained all the necessary approvals and paid all the charges required .do i still require any other petmit grom nema or Nema

5. C.Mwangi
    February 22, 2016 at 8:15 am

Please advice,

I intend to construct a simple mabati private residential house in Ruiru murera Kimbu , but will also elevate a stone perimeter wall.

How do I go about approval?.

Regards

6. February 22, 2016 at 9:05 am

i can design the building and submit it for approval for you. email me info@a4architect.com

7. Zamzam
    June 17, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Hi.. I got the approval in 2014.. I have a plot in syokimau.. How much does it cost to renew and how long will it take
    Thanks

8. John Njuguna
    October 18, 2016 at 10:50 am

I want to build a one storey three bedroom maissonate on a 40 by 80 ft plot at Membley Ruiru. What are the requirements on
    1. Plot coverage for ground floor
    2. The ration
    3. The nearest I can go the perimeter boarders. (offsets) takinG into account that the plot access is on the width to a 9 meter road.

9. Gikuru
    December 15, 2016 at 1:32 pm

I have been trying to have my building plans approved for the last six months in Thika and even paid all the application fees yet nothing has happened so far since every time we go to the planning office we find somebody who comes up with a different requirement. At one time somebody demanded that the building plans should dedicate the first two floors of the five floor proposed building to parking otherwise they would not be approved. I am really frustrated and is considering abandoning the how exercise and recover whatever I have already paid to the municipal. Advise how I should I go about recovering the over 130k approval fee?

10. David fedha
    February 3, 2017 at 7:31 pm

I plan to construct a residential house in kahawa sukari. Kindly give me a list of approvals needed by the contractor

11. sarah
    February 18, 2017 at 6:16 pm

thanks arch Francis. I want to put up a 4 bedroom maissonate near Juja farm. what are the charges for designing and necessary approvals?

12. JOYCE MURIMI
    March 30, 2017 at 1:06 pm

HI.
    how much will it cost to approve a four bedroom maissonette around Juja with a stone wall, is it a must , it be online
    .kindly make sure you answer.

13. Njeri
    August 30, 2017 at 4:55 pm

How much will it cost me to get necessary approvals for 3 bedroom residential in kantafu and what will the fee cover