Iron sheet housing on a 50 x 100 ft plot.

Iron sheet housing costs in Kenya.
Assuming the cost per m2 for iron sheet housing is kes 6,000 per m2, a 50 x 100 ft plot construction will cost as below.

Design type.
2 rooms with outside sharing toilet and bathrooms.
Each room is 12m2.
Total area for 2 rooms =24m2.
Number of rooms in the 50 x 100 ft plot=14

Total floor area =14 rooms x 24m2=336m2.

Cost per house with 2 rooms=kes 6,000 x 24m2=kes 144,000

Cost per unit .
Walling iron sheets=70m2
cost per m2 of walling iron sheets including timber frame and labour=kes600
Cost of walling=kes 600 x 70m2=kes 42,000

Cost of roof.
Area of roof =30m2
cost of roofinng sheet inclisive of timber framing and labour=kes600 per m2.
Roof cost =kes 600 x 30m2=kes 18000

Cost of floor slab and foundation.
Assuming kes 3,000 per m2
=30m2 x 2000=kes 60,000

Cost of 2 windows= kes 15,000
Cost of 2 doors inclusive frame=kes 10,000

Total cost =kes 145,000

Cost per m2=145,000/24=kes 6,000

Total cost of 14 units= 14 units x kes 144,000=kes 2,016,000.

Return on Investment.
Average rent = kes 3,000 per house.
Monthly rent for 14 houses=kes 42,000

Yearly rent=kes 504, 000

R.O.I= 4 YEARS.

Within 4 years, the cost of construction will have paid back.

Disadvantages.

Maintenance cost is high.
Risk of parts of the building iron sheets being stolen.
High tenant move out due to poor insulation . Too cold at night and too hot during the day.
Poor sound proofing from one house to the other.

Advantages.
Takes short time to construct.
Takes low capital to complete.

Francis Gichuhi Kamau, Architect.

Francis Gichuhi (692 Posts)

Architect Francis Gichuhi . B.Arch. University of Nairobi. Registered Architect, Kenya. Member, Architectural Association of Kenya. Contacts. email info@a4architect.com. Telephone +254721410684

15 comments for “Iron sheet housing on a 50 x 100 ft plot.

1. Ekakoro vincent
    August 6, 2014 at 3:08 pm

We appreciate, help us 2 draft 50 iron sheet house(6rooms) modern roofing

2. wendy aulo
    September 2, 2014 at 7:29 am

i would like to build rental houses using ironsheets. 2 bedroom houses( modern) with wall boards inside and ceiling boards. groundfloor and 1st floor. Is it possible.

3. Angela Mtini
    December 4, 2014 at 11:16 am

Hi,i would like to build a small two bedroomed hse with an open kitchen,toilet/bathroom,inside,with ceiling n the walls covered with 3ply then painted.how many mabstis wil i use n where can i get mabatis at a fair price?hw much wil i spend for such a house?

4. Sheila
    January 3, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Very helpful.Thank you

5. Gil
    August 24, 2015 at 9:39 am

I found this site helpful. Just bumped into it as I was looking for any info on Iron sheet housing development am keen on doing.
    I’d appreciate further guidance/advise on one roomed housing on a 40*80 plot in town. I love neat jobs.

6. Martin
    September 25, 2015 at 7:45 pm

I am planning to build 15-20 single rooms iron sheet reasonable size. How much will it cost me including labor. Thanks.

7. Hosea
    January 7, 2016 at 11:58 am

Thanks. Very insightful and precise.

I am considering putting up a temporary about 15 single rooms iron sheet reasonable size in the Eastland, Nairobi.
    + How much will it each 12m2 room cost under the current conditions
    + Do I require any county government approval for this temporary structure – note that the area is zoned for highly resident flats
    + Kindly provide me with a lead of any fundi who can lead me through the labour work

+ Also, I have also seen nice prefab house especially on chinese-driven mjengo sites and
    See link below for example:

Question is:
    – Do we have local company that sells or construct this
    – How much can it cost to put up a 12m2 room using this chinese material. Is it a cheaper option compared to what you have described above.

8. lynette
    May 7, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Thank you so much for your helpful information.I want to build an iron sheet house three rooms two bathrooms in the two bedrooms and a small kitchen within the living room.Kindly give me the total cost of the full house from the floor to everything.

9. lyna memo
    June 24, 2016 at 9:42 am

i would like to build a three bed roomed house how many iron sheet can it take

10. Mathew Kirera
    July 6, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Hi.. I would like to build a small house of 2 bedroom house using iron sheets.. What quantity will I be required.. And how conducive is it to avoid heat and cold… Bearing in mind the toilet kitchen and bathroom is inside..

11. Absalom Ongaya
    July 11, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Jambo, i want to build a house in kisumu three bedroom house and kitchen but toilet and bathroom will be seperate from the main house because its a semi permanate. How many mabati will i need?

12. Fred Mutegi
    July 16, 2016 at 3:57 pm

i would like to know and if possible have photos on how to go about contruction of a 3 bedroom house all made of iron sheets plus some cardboards on the walls and ceiling board.the floor to be cemented with tiles.
    a good design is welcomed.

thanks

13. July 20, 2016 at 9:32 am

This is very helpful, thanks alot please respond to my email.

14. Maganda s
    October 23, 2016 at 8:39 pm

I would like to know about a three bedroom house with one sitting room
    And one of those rooms is self contained (how many iron sheets do I need to have and if possible draft for me the sketch thanx

15. January 28, 2017 at 2:25 am

Where can I buy flat iron sheets ?