ESTIMATED COST OF CONSTRUCTION IN KENYA-FLATS.

ESTIMATED COST OF CONSTRUCTION IN KENYA-FLATS.
To get the estimated cost of construction for flats in Kenya, we will first need to identify the target market.
The target market is divided into 3 classes
1. High income earners
2. Middle income earners
3. Low income earners.

High income earners:

Projects in this range are located in areas such as Hurlingham, Kileleshwa e.t.c
The land location must be in a very prime area, near a tarmac road and in close proximity to CBD.
Construction cost is estimated at a minimum of KES 35,000 per square meter.
The house size is mainly 2 ,3 and 4 bedroomed, with a minimum size of 100 m2.
The two bedroomed unit will cost approximately KES 3.5m to construct.

Middle income earners:

Projects targeting this range are located in areas such as Umoja, Kitengela, Ngong, Kikuyu, Ruiru. Generally, the areas are located around 25 to 40 km from CBD and are in close proximity to tarmac roads.
The house size is mainly 1 and 2 bedroomed with a floor plinth area of approximately 35m2 for the 1 bedroomed and 60m2 for the 2 bedroomed.
The average construction cost per square meter for this type is KES 25,000.
The 2 bedroomed unit will cost approximately KES 1.5m to construct.

Low Income earners:

Projects targeting this category of people are located in Kayole, Ruai, and in most towns at a distance of over 1 km from the main tarmac road.
The house type is mainly single and double rooms, self contained or sharing a communal bathroom facility.
The construction cost is approximately KES 20,000 per square meter.
A double room of 25 m2 will cost KES 500,000 to construct.

CONSTRUCTION COST ESTIMATES BREAKDOWN

The construction cost estimates include labor, materials and professional fees.
The actual cost of construction is derived from the actual agreement that the land owner has with a building contractor. This amount varies from contractor to contractor depending on several factors.

PROFESSIONAL SERVICES.

Professional fees are constant and are set by the Kenyan Laws.
Chapter 525 of the laws of Kenya guide Architectural and Quantity Surveying Services.
Chapter 530 of the Laws of Kenya guide Structural, Civil, Mechanical and Electrical services.
Architectural fees are charged at 6% of the total cost of construction.
Quantity Surveying fees are at 3% of the total cost of construction.
Engineering fees vary between 1.5% to 3% depending on the complexity of involvement.

EXAMPLE

6 units on 0.5 acre plot in Kiambaa, Kiambu county.
The best target for this region is the Middle income earning class.
Therefore, the 6 units will cost 6 units x 60m2 x KES 25,000=KES 9,000,000.00.
The Architectural fees for full service from design until construction supervision to completion will be 6% x KES 9,000,000=KES 540,000.

Architect Francis Gichuhi Kamau.
+254721410684
www.a4architect.com
info@a4architect.com

Francis Gichuhi (692 Posts)

Architect Francis Gichuhi . B.Arch. University of Nairobi. Registered Architect, Kenya. Member, Architectural Association of Kenya. Contacts. email info@a4architect.com. Telephone +254721410684

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

44 comments for “ESTIMATED COST OF CONSTRUCTION IN KENYA-FLATS.

1. October 25, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Great insights here. A point of clarification though. I think the minimum cost of construction for a house with basic finishes should be pegged at Kshs. 40,000 per SM. I think of late with the inflation that’s going on, it’s safe to work with that figure rather than the Kshs. 25,000 – Kshs. 35,000 figure.

2. Njuguna
    September 23, 2014 at 11:51 am

What abt costing a masoniatte arnd Sagana area,per square metre?

• September 23, 2014 at 12:38 pm

construction cost throughout the country is more or less the same.

• symaocon
        April 30, 2016 at 12:46 pm

These rates should be calculated and not fixed

3. October 10, 2014 at 5:30 pm

am george a contractor from geoben limited . i have done construction engineering, my quiz is about estimate , i do have a bill to fill and i should be -10% or +10%, the estimate of the QS, ADVICE ME THE CONSTRUCTION IS IN GITHUNGURI COMMERCIAL HOUSE’ GIVE ME THE BEST OUT OF YOU I WHAT TO BE WITHIN THE RANGE
    KIND RGD
    GEORGE GITHIBNJI
    0713631542

4. JAmes
    October 14, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Hi
    Do the above rates fit for residential units only or can also be applied to commercial properties?

• December 14, 2014 at 10:31 pm

A simple and innelligett point, well made. Thanks!

5. kandagachi
    October 29, 2014 at 1:14 am

hi am impressed with your lay out or calculation gat a question am planning to build a house in south b or c what would be an approximate price for a 4 bedroom plix

6. victor omondi ooko
    February 11, 2015 at 1:26 pm

curruently interested in buliding a commercia flats in utawala area near kangudo road, what would be the approximate price of buying a piece of land and building a one storey bedsitter flat in this area

7. March 26, 2015 at 2:07 am

hello,i have liked your knowledge, i have bee reading your work and i have become informed. am a student in Technical university of Kenya, i would like to get some attachment as from august this year and have an opportunity to work with you sir. thank you.

regards

Kariuki

8. Amos
    May 29, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Hi,I have 60 by 35 pc of land at kahawa west and I wish to develop a flat but only ground floor but am not sure how much I should save for the same.

9. July 16, 2015 at 7:06 pm

i have a plot in kamulu and i intend to build 4 stories with 4 units of 1 bedroom ,kitchen toilet and bathroom in each unit the piece of land is unit 30 by 60.
    how much will it cost me to build individual storey and also the whole 4 stories.
    thanks

10. John T
    August 28, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I would like to build a 2 bedroom house in Kisumu 1KM from the airport, ground & 1st floor, just a standard but modern house, for family rental. kindly advice on the approximate cost, size is 50 by 100. thnx

11. Keziah Kariuki
    September 3, 2015 at 6:35 am

I have a 40X80 plot in Juja farm and would like to build bed sitters in a three story although I would like to start with on ground floor at the moment. Please let me know the estimate so that I can plan as I want to stat soonest possible.

Thanks and regards

• Munene
      September 3, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Hi,

Contact me Mister. I will give you a very insightful information about the proposed project. I stay in Ruiru and will design for you the project at a very reasonable rate.

12. lucy
    September 10, 2015 at 8:34 am

I have a 40X80 plot in Thika near leather company and would like to build bed sitters in a three story although I would like to start with on ground floor at the moment. Please let me know the estimate so that I can plan as I want to stat soonest possible.

Thanks and regards

13. Patricia
    September 11, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Hello, I was wondering if the information that you have on your website is upto date or if I were to instruct you, the prices would be different.

• mwatsuma
      December 5, 2015 at 9:48 am

updated

14. September 12, 2015 at 9:44 am

15. September 12, 2015 at 9:49 am

I’m having a three acre land and I want to construct a hotel and Resort, how much do I need to complete it? And how long will it take a contractor to hand over the project? I’m in Bungoma town, please advise.
    Regards. Maurice Odiko

16. Moses Ofubo
    November 10, 2015 at 3:25 pm

What would be the estimate for constructing a 2 story building measuring 12m by 20m. If ground floor is reserved for a supermaket/shop space. first flow for shops and second flow for residential? I wish to start with only the ground flow, how much do I need?

17. joseph
    December 5, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Hello. Please tell me some of the high income projects you have done in Nairobi. Am interested in service on half acre off thika road.

18. Musa
    December 19, 2015 at 4:06 am

Halo, are the costs mentioned still relevant now (end of 2015)?

Could u also advise on getting approvals for the building project

19. Liz
    January 12, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Hi
    Thank you the useful information. I have a piece of land in Kinoo and am looking to build flats. Would you be able to advice of where I might get reasonable priced funding for the project?

20. Andrew Mwai
    January 31, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Hello Architect Francis, your help and answers are greatly appreciated. Now I have a question,
    1. How much would it cost me to put up a six story apartment block 4/5 apts per floor
    2. What are the estimates per unit
    3. Would you charge me for the design if I had my own design (I have something in mind I would like you to put on paper)
    4. Where are your offices located?
    Asante sana Bwana Kamau….

21. Gladys Ooko
    April 22, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Hi am looking to put up a three story building to rent out shop space in an uprising gated community just off kitengela town next to an upcoming major road, on an eighth acre piece of land. Please advise me how much it will cost me roughly.
    Thank you.
    Gladys.

22. Jacqueline Amimo
    April 24, 2016 at 7:20 am

Hi
    I want to put up high cost apartments in ongata rongai rimpa area. 4 floors 2apartments per floor.
    *how much can this cost from design to finish.
    *is it viable
    *how do I get people to buy these houses. Thanks. Jacqueline

• Adam mbatia
      September 28, 2016 at 4:22 pm

How many bedrooms? Is there an sq?

23. Alex Cheboi
    May 27, 2016 at 8:39 am

hello, would like to do single and and double rooms in upcountry how much do i need for a single unit on a 50 by 100 plot

24. Pauline Cole
    June 6, 2016 at 10:02 pm

I would like to ask some questions in regards to your figures.

25. samuel
    June 10, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Kindly i would like to ask the cost of building a single room 30 units with communinal washroom a septic tank as well a perimter fence in mlolongo .its 50*100 plot.

with thanks

26. eric
    June 11, 2016 at 6:54 am

have the rates per m2 changed since 2011 fast forward to 2016
    if yes by how much

27. Leila Akinyi
    August 2, 2016 at 1:44 am

Thank you very much for this!!! I really needed the information.
    I just bought land and I was wondering what to do with it.
    When I get enough money to put up rentals, I’ll definitely consult you.
    God bless you.

28. james
    August 25, 2016 at 8:23 am

Hi
    are the 6 units flat or how will they look like please

29. Nicholas
    September 5, 2016 at 4:18 am

Want to construct a 3 storey residential in a 50 x 100 in kitui. How much can it cost.

• Adam mbatia
      September 28, 2016 at 4:23 pm

How many bedrooms?

30. Rose M. O
    September 11, 2016 at 5:44 am

Very informative. I would like to put up bedsitters in Kangemi. I have an eighth plot ready for development.
    I think I would like to go couple of floors up to the required number without a lift. Kindly advice the cost and likely number of rooms I can get from this plot.

31. Richard
    October 11, 2016 at 1:49 pm

I find rather different because what I know,the mode of construction,use and finishes details will sum up the cost of the project.Again,the cost of the project is also determined by other factors including foundation details and architectural details. Therefore cant give an exact figure

32. Richard
    October 11, 2016 at 5:14 pm

architects and contractors are equal to the task in request.

33. richard
    October 11, 2016 at 5:23 pm

your solution to architectural design,cost n estimation of your project and interior design is ARCHITECTS AND CONTRACTORS.